Skip to main content

How do I insure a car if I don’t own it?

Sometimes you may not necessarily own the car that you drive often. If that’s your situation, you might be wondering if you’re protected while you’re driving. Generally speaking, an insurance policy is issued to the person (or people) listed on the registration of the vehicle. Their policy will cover you as an occasional driver but if you drive the vehicle regularly or want additional insurance coverage (for example the policy only has liability and you want collision coverage) you may want to have the vehicle co-titled to you or be added to their existing policy.

1. Having a Car Co-Titled to You

If you’re looking to get an insurance policy on a car you do not currently own one option might be to get the car co-titled to you. This would enable you to take over the responsibility for insuring the car and you can ensure you’re protected. Usually, this is a fairly simple process, especially if the car is paid for and no loan exists. You may be required to pay a small fee to add your name to the title but now you have a better chance of having suitable insurance coverage.

2. Get Added to an Existing Policy

If you regularly drive a vehicle you should be added to the policy as an additional driver or additional insured. This is the easiest way to deal with coverage issues.

Whoever owns the car and insurance policy will have to call their insurer or talk to their broker to add you. They’ll need some basic information and they will also look into your driving history. The cost varies depending on the coverage on the policy and your driving record.

3. Talk to Your Broker

If you are unsure of the best route to take when it comes to finding insurance for a car you don’t own we suggest talking to your broker. They can answer any questions you may have and point you in the right direction in regard to what sort of option makes the most sense for both you and the person whose car you are driving.